Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The meals you used to go out for

Well, last night was to be dedicated to writing a post for my blog. It was not to be however... Liz had her poster completed and wanted to drop it off to Kinkos so that they had time to print it before she leaves for the US.
I haven't mentioned that yet have I? Liz is off to the US to give a talk on her findings at some big conference (AGU for those who are interested). Pretty impressive stuff - and only five months until she finishes her degree! Yay for that.

Considering this meant a trip into the city, we decided to have ourselves some dessert and enjoy it a little. After dropping off the file to Kinkos, we meandered down the Circular Quay looking for a nice cafe to sit down at. We found one, waited quite a while to be seated and then waited an even longer period to be handed menus. Not the best of signs but I'm still willing to give the place a fair go - we'll see how the food is. My macchiato arrives and by this point I'm ready to leave. It was the most bitter shot I've had in a damn long time, with hard foam on top instead of creamy froth. That being said, there was still a nice atmosphere looking across the water to the Harbour Bridge and seeing the slightly crazy looking smile of Luna Park off in the distance.

The question this raised for me is why on earth would anyone want to go out when you can produce better quality meals at home? Should we eat crap at home just so we can appreciate "good" food when we go out? Obviously, eating at home is not like dropping in to Rockpool, Quay or Banc - but then it doesn't cost us $200 for the meal either.

5 Comments:

At 10:34 am, Blogger Justin Warner said...

I know what you mean, but with coffee it's often luck of the draw when going to unknown cafes/restraunts. For example, my boss took us to a little italian place in Penrith one time. The place looked dingy, and the waitstaff/chef was rude and obnoxious. The food was alright - but the coffee was AWESOME. The two things I rememeber about that meal were the chef (in the kitchen, but well within earshot) making fun of the way my boss had asked for "prushetta", meaning bruschetta - and how awesome the coffee was. Now, having a go at the person paying the bill is NEVER a good idea, but making great coffee... now that's choice.

 
At 11:01 am, Blogger Nathan Zamprogno said...

Me and mine eat out more often than we ought to, but having grown up on acres in the sticks, there's something intoxicating about living in Richmond where there's half a dozen restaurants within a 10 minute walk. If everyone's had a long day and the prospect of preparing something does not appeal, I'm normally the one to say "blast it, we're all going to Al's Steak & Pasta". I can say that the best meal I've ever had in my life was at a nondescript little place out towards Kenthurst called the
Buoni Amici. They had the most magnificent Gnocchi Scampi (Gnocci with Lobster) I've had anywhere.

Good to see you back blogging, too.

 
At 8:03 am, Blogger Joel Baltaks said...

When you go out there's a certain aura of specialness - I guess it comes from unfamiliar settings and food. Still, if you know your way around a kitchen you can eat healthier, nicer and cheaper than any restaurant - but I still haven't figured out how to make a really nice, soft pizza base. And, of course, the other question is of washing up. I don't drink much coffee but I can say that I make the best milk, maple syrup and hot water in a beer stein this side of kentucky. I must give that drink a name, one day...

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Tam said...

Yeah I don't go out much to eat. Mainly because I know what happens behind the scenes, though it probably has something to do with the fact that the majority of times I know I can cook the meal better. Even in the case of Banc's lemon tart.

For future reference..."bruschetta" is pronounced "brassketta", if you were being a fastidious Italian, though most people don't know this and laugh at my supposed bumbled attempt at asking for it.

And yes, coffee covers a multitude of sins, though if the coffee is bad it tends to put a damper on the rest of the meal...

 
At 8:28 pm, Blogger Grant said...

Joel, I nominate your drink "The Kentucky Stein" or just "Kentucky" for short.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home