Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Spiritual Thoughts #1

I was reading a passage in Corinthians tonight where Paul is discussing his rights with the Corinthian church. Basically, he claims his right to be recognised as an apostle, and the right to be supported by them.
The funny thing is, that he is so emphatic about them and then at the end of the passage, he simply says "But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me".
So why does he write it? Perhaps as an example of how we should be acting as Christians. Aware of what our rights are, but willing to lay them down to serve God - because our rights are less important than the spreading of the gospel.
Perhaps the other reason he does not wish to be supported is because it would come between him and his reliance of God? I can't say I'm majorly reliant on God. I'm reliant on myself for most things. Why? Because they are under my control. Most would say I need to get out of my comfort zone and start doing things that mean I need to rely on God. Maybe it's simpler than that. Maybe I just need to be believing for things in my life. Simple things, little things. I don't really know.

1 Comments:

At 7:08 pm, Blogger Justin Warner said...

There's nothing more encouraging to me then seeing my peers mulling over the truely important issues in life.

And personally I think the best place to start with relying on God is with the little things. That's a little less scary then running off to Saudi Arabia as a missionary. Faith is a practice thing - you can't just switch it on. Small steps, you know. That's what I think anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home