Monday, May 16, 2005

Redneck values

Well, I was reading through a few blogs today and realised that I haven't posted in a bit. Bring on the random thoughts!

We live in a role based society. While that is something which seems to be shifting with the advent of equal rights, we still live in a society which makes judgement upon things we do or things we have and label them. Who is it that defines what is masculine and what is feminine? What is cool and what is geeky?

I had a discussion with a friend of mine a while back regarding me selling my car. For those of you who don't know, I have a lovely black XR6 Turbo. Goes like the clappers and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, to make getting married more affordable it has to go. A few reasons... monthly repayments, petrol costs and all the added incidentals. Getting back to the point, I was discussing getting a smaller car - four cylinder so it's lighter on the fuel. After mentioning a few options he responded with something along the lines of "but they're girl's cars. Needless to say I thought that was a croc of something best left unsaid.Reflecting on it later, I realised that Australia and America are really two of the only countries to draw masculinity from driving a V8 or something that does a sub 14 quarter in stock trim.

I like to cook. I draw satisfaction from the fact that I can identify rosemary from thyme, a filleting knife from a chef's knife, a semifreddo from a pannacotta. Call me gay or any other thing you like, when it comes down to it I like good food and I like making it. A good meal is the best way to start and finish a day. While the traditional role of the woman was in the kitchen, I have realised that amongst my friends a number of the guys can cook at least as well as their partners, if not better. One of them is even a chef. You should see what these guys can do with carrots! Does that make my entire group of friends gay? Not a chance. If you like something then get into it - I'm talking about interests not pants.

Who will join me in throwing of the shackles of an archaic social system to lead the charge towards a mindset that needs to be assimilated? Viva le resistance!

5 Comments:

At 6:56 pm, Blogger Justin Warner said...

GO THE CARROTS!!!! Tee hee.

I'm with you Grant. I love my little Corolla, and I love to cook. I don't even WANT a V8. The thought of lumbering around in an extremely powerful and yet enourmously cumbersome car is not appealing at all. I don't get it... Maybe I'm missing some vital gene...

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger Grant said...

Well, having driven my car I can see why you'd want something ballsy... the adrenaline rush of acceleration is kinda nice, so is being able to overtake without any kind of worry. Still, when it takes $75ish to fill a tank, I start having more economical thoughts.

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger Tam said...

I drive a festiva (but secretly harbour a desire for a vw...oh its still 4 cylinder, well they do a sub 14 quarter in modified trim?), but yeah I'd love a V8, and I love cooking (I'm guessing I'm the chef?) so I'll join you. I think in my efforts to rid the world of stereotypes I have caused people to re-evaluate their opinions, I mean I have been known to wear dresses on occasion but that doesn't make me gay!

 
At 1:24 pm, Blogger Justin Warner said...

Um, yes it does. ;) Tee hee...

(I am kidding. I am.)

 
At 10:53 am, Blogger Joel Baltaks said...

But your blog site is still pink.

Need I say more? ;-)

Nah, just kidding...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home